Saturday, May 3, 2008

Yucky Chocolate Mousse Cake



My sister Bethany gave me this recipe a couple of months ago and I've already made it twice. I told Bethany she should post the recipe, but she hasn't yet, so I'm going to go ahead and do so! There are just too many yucky chocolate lovers out there who shouldn't be denied! All credit goes to Bethany and her houseguests from across the pond!

Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake

. Description:
This rich, dense chocolate cake is incredibly easy to make but will always impress. It can be served with whipped cream, creme fraiche, Green & Black's Organic Vanilla ice cream or simply on its own sliced into small fingers with coffee. It can also be made with Green & Black's Dark, Milk, White and Maya chocolates either on their own or in a combination. If it is made the day before and then chilled over night it becomes even more dense, fudgey and wicked. The lack of flour in the recipe also makes it suitable for coeliacs.

Ingredients:
Use: 20cm or 23cm (8in or 9in) cake tin with removable base or similar-sized tart tin
3 x 100g Bars Green & Black's Dark 70% Chocolate
275g Caster Sugar 1 1/4 cup
165g Unsalted Butter 3/4 cup
Pinch of Sea Salt
5 Large Free Range Eggs
Icing Sugar
1 Tablespoon Ground Almonds plus extra for dusting the tin

Instruction:
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
. Butter and dust a cake tin with a removable base.
. Put the first 4 ingredients in a bowl over barely simmering water and allow to melt.
. Whisk the eggs with the ground almonds and then fold into the chocolate mixture with a spatula off the heat.
. Pour into the cake tin and bake for between 35 and 40 minutes.
. Allow to cool, and dust with icing sugar.
Serves:
Use: 20cm or 23cm (8in or 9in) cake tin with removable base or similar-sized tart tin

My Notes: You can make your own caster sugar by whirling a cup of granulated sugar in the food processor. Superfine sugar just melts better than regular granulated sugar. I tried grinding my own almonds in the food processor, but it seemed to go from too rough a grind straight to almond butter. I couldn't get it mealy. I ended up substituting a sweet rice flour the first time I made this, and it turned out fine. I wasn't going to buy a bag of ground almond meal for $19.95 at Harris Teeter! The next time I was at Trader Joe's I found a bag of ground almonds for $4.00. It's more rustic because it's ground with the skin on, but it gives a better flavor, especially along the edge of the cake. Yummy! Oh, yeah, and Trader Joe's Organic Dark Chocolate bars are less than half the cost of the Green and Black, so pick up some of those while you are at it!


1 comment:

Bethany said...

You are cute. I keep the ingredients for this ALWAYS on hand. I think I might make some tonight. Sorry for sharing it with you. HEE HEE