Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fresh Strawberries with Lemon Shortcakes


I grew up making shortcakes from Bisquick, but after trying this recipe, I don't know if I'll ever go back! The touch of lemon really complements the strawberries!

Lemon Shortcakes

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 T. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt (the original recipe didn't call for salt, but I think it needs a little, personally!)
1/3 cup butter
1 slightly beaten egg
1/3 cup Half & Half
2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel (I use a micro-planer)
1 slightly beaten egg white (I often skip this part)
2 T. coarse-grain or granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. For shortcakes, in a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, 2 T. sugar, and baking powder (and salt, if using). Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture.

In a small bowl mix together the whole egg, half & half, and lemon zest. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Using a fork, stir until moistened.

Turn dough onto floured surface. Gently knead 10-12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat into a 6-in square. Using floured knife, cut the square into 9 2-in. squares. Then cut each square diagonally in half. (Alternately, you can use a biscuit cutter and make round shortcakes.)

Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg white; lightly sprinkle with sugar. (I just skip the egg white and go right to the sugar-sprinkling!). Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden. Remove and cool.

Serve 3-4 triangles per person. Top with vanilla ice cream, fresh berries, and whipped cream.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Lemon shortcake sounds yummy.