My girls and I had fun looking through all our old pictures today; hope you enjoy them, too! Now I'm off to plan Claire's next birthday party...
Tea Party Cake
Elise's nursery was Classic Pooh, so we used that for her 1st birthday, as well.
The pink stuffed elephant, Ellie, was Claire's favorite "lovey." This was my first attempt at using fondant, though I only used it to mold the elephants, not to cover the cake.
I loved this construction cake and it was super-easy. The dirt is a mixture of vanilla-creme cookies with a touch of oreos.
Elise is my summer baby, so she wanted a beach themed cake. Here we have teddy grahams bobbing in gummy life savers and lounging on Zebra gum towels!
I could NOT get the face right on this Minnie Mouse cake, but my husband came to the rescue. He "drew" the face in the purple icing with a toothpick, and I just filled in the lines.
Gordon was 2 weeks old when I made this for Claire. My pastor's wife had offered to bring dinner over that night, and thank goodness, or we would have been eating cake for dinner! It took me all day to do this, in between feedings and changings and feedings and changings... It was worth it to see her face, though! I traced the picture onto wax paper, froze the iced cake for 30 minutes so the icing would be hard, then "transferred" the design by poking a toothpick through the wax paper onto the iced cake. Labor intensive, yes!
Belle and Sleeping Beauty Cakes -- I did these one summer for Elise and her cousin, Nicole.
Gordon's Train Cake -- I iced this sucker right on the table so I wouldn't have to move it!
St-st-st-st-strawberry, Strawberry Shortcake!
Elise's Butterfly Cake
This isn't a cake, but I thought I'd include it. It's our "April Fools" dinner: the meatloaf is Coco Puffs marshmallow treats, the mashed potatoes are ice cream with caramel "gravy", and the green beans are softened and molded chewy jolly ranchers. (Idea courtesy of Family Fun)
This cake took me the longest of any of them. All the colors, and trying to make the characters look like themselves...ugh! My sister Sarah was keeping me company all those HOURS I was working, and as I put the finishing touches on it she said, "Hmmm, 'happy birt-day?'" Yes, I'd left out the "h"!!! Thank goodness I was able to scrape and salvage it!
These were Gordon's preschool treats for "D" week. They are 2 oreos stuck together and dipped in white chocolate bark, then decorated.
I love Hello Kitty...simple, but sweet!
This was for my Earth Science co-op. We used a cake to demonstrate an earthquake.

I loved this cake, and see, I'm getting smarter! I'm incorporating toys right on top, so that I don't have to spend hours "drawing" Lightning McQueen...!

This Treasure Chest Cake was for Elise's Pirate Pool Party. I made my own marshmallow fondant for this cake. I'm still learning to work with it, but thankfully the dark color hid my errors! All the "jewels" are edible, including the marshmallow pearls.


Gordon wanted to go bowling for his birthday, so I adapted this from one at Family Fun. The score card is marshmallow fondant, and the pins are white candles covered in marshmallow fondant. I know they make bowling pin candles, but I'm usually coming up with my cakes rather last minute, so I didn't have time to order them or find them locally.

Another Family Fun idea -- these Popcorn cupcakes are made from marshmallows clipped on one end and painted with a little yellow food coloring. Then I wrapped the popcorn container band around the base of the cupcakes.

Gordon wanted Indiana Jones, so I borrowed this idea from something I saw online. Nice and easy, which was good, because I was sick the week of his birthday.And that's it! Claire's birthday party is next, but she hasn't settled on a theme yet. One of these days I'm actually going to take a class in cake decorating so that I can learn proper techniques and build up my speed. Until then, I'll keep googling!




8 comments:
ok you and your siblings are waaayyyy to talented in the cake dept. and Bethany wrote that Jeff does it too! Are you guys secret cake decorators at night?
Great pics and cakes!
Heather it was so fun looking back over all the cakes you have made- and being able to copy those ideas takes talent!!! You are so clever. I too am putting things on the cakes instead of trying to draw. I will have to post some of my cakes as well! Love you! Can't wait to see what Claire picks for her theme this year! :)
OH those are so fun. I knew you had the best!!! Thanks for playing. Can't wait to see what you do for Claire. You are going to have to fill me in on the teapot and cups one. I think I am going to have to do that one with my girly someday.
Miss you
Heather, these are amazing!
These are fantastic. Love the tea cups!
Heather, both you and Bethany, do amazing jobs with your children's birthday cakes. I love your fun family ideas too.
You Rock! Can I be your kid to? :)
Love,
Mel
Wow! Heather, these are beautiful...found you through Bethany's blog. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment