Saturday, December 8, 2007

Trimming the Tree

We put up our tree the day after Thanksgiving this year. Normally we would wait until December, but both Augie and I had separate trips scheduled for the last week of November and the first weekend in December, so we decided we'd better get a head start. You don't have to ask my kids twice if they are ready to decorate for Christmas -- they are all over it.

Gordon and Claire like to assemble the mini-tree. I bought this the first year we were married, and every year we add just one miniature ornament. I was pretty disappointed when I learned last year that Hallmark will no longer be making very many ornaments in this size. I loved that they were tiny but detailed and well-made, and they usually come marked with the year. It's a fun way to show the passage of time. If anyone knows of another source for nice, miniature ornaments, let me know!


And, he's out! That mini-tree was just too much for him!


Elise took charge of our North Pole Village. My aunt and uncle have given us one of these Dept. 56 buildings for several years now, and the kids LOVE them. I often catch Gordon in the dining room, staring into one of the lighted buildings, and I can practically hear his imagination whirling!


And finally, the tree trimming! The girls each take turns hanging up their own ornaments, then they tackle the generic ones. And we all have a glass or two of eggnog because, well, because that's tradition!


I'm hardly ever in photos because I'm usually the one taking the pictures, but Augie grabbed the camera while I was sorting ornaments. Of course, the one shot of me would have to be on a day when I never got dressed or combed my hair! Lovely! Ha ha!


Since I don't want to leave you with that scary picture, here's one of the finished tree.


2 comments:

Hannah said...

So fun!!! What a beautiful tree. I cant wait to see you all in just a few short weeks.

Bethany said...

so pretty....i see you got some fake snow for your village....kids love that. ps my snowman that you gave me has joined the others he is so cute and cheery